Wednesday, March 30, 2011

So that wasn't awkward...

In reality, it wasn't that bad. But I met GGPB's husband today for the first time. I'm sure if he has any say in the matter, also the last time. Unless I unintentionally ambush him, as happened today. I'll just blame GGPB. She happened to be going to her favorite spot to have lunch with her husband and was spotted by the Socialite and her lunch date. Rather than be rude, GGPB and her husband sat down with them after being waved over.

Now, Socialite is one of the 7. We've not invested much time into seeing each other yet but have been talking for as long as i've known GGPB. Socialite is also in an open relationship and has some issues surrounding that that I believe should be worked out before I go walking into a hornet's nest. I'm all about openness, but if it's not stable no one from the outside needs to get involved, and certainly not this guy. But this particular day, she happened to be with a man not her boyfriend. I was surprised only in that she hadn't mentioned anything, but then again I have relatively little invested at this point. It's not my business. But when GGPB mentioned how awesomely awkward the situation was, I knew I had to come witness. As expected, she promptly invited me. Good girl!

As it turns out, GGPB and her husband already knew the date in question. I'll start by saying that I don't know the guy, have never met him, but if pictures are anything to judge by he could very likely be described as "douchey" and "that guy". Thanks, Facebook! GGPB's opinion pretty much backed that up. I trust her. I had to see this immediately. However, he leaves before I can get there and the train wreck level of awkwardness disappears, much to my disappointment.

When I arrived I assumed things might be a little weird for the first few minutes as I got to know GGPB's man, and that I might feel a bit out of place having crashed their lunch as the outsider, the other man. But I was invited and I trust GGPB. Clearly, I should begin to trust that she likes to orchestrate and/or observe awkward social situations because I was wrong about the "a little weird" thing. As soon as I sat down it got a lot weird. Her husband, without so much as a glance in my direction, immediately announced he was heading a few stores down to a book store, stood up and walked away without an introduction. GGPB looked at me, eyes wide with what could only have been a mixture of shock and perplexity, momentarily unsure of what to do.

Not awkward at all!

Thankfully, GGPB called him on it before he got out of earshot and he came back and pleasantly enough introduced himself, shook my hand and promptly bounced out of there like the place was on fire. So that went well.

No comments:

Post a Comment